Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Learning to Fly...3 times over

There are 3 songs I know by this name...all of them near the top in my all time favorites list.

Pink Floyd has a haunting "Learning to Fly" with a nice lead solo at the end.
Foo Fighters have a fast and raunchy "Learn to Fly".
Tom Petty has a "Learning to Fly" with a folksy bluesy twist.

Here are some lyrics from these songs...

Pink Floyd - Learning to Fly
No navigator to guide my way home
Unladened, empty and turned to stone
A soul in tension that's learning to fly

Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly
Think I’m done nursing patience, It can wait one night
I’d give it all away, If you give me one last try
We live happily ever trapped, If you just save my life
Run and tell the angels, That everything is all right

Tom Petty - Learning to Fly
So I started out, for God knows where
But I guess I’ll know, when I get there
I’m learning to fly, around the clouds

But what goes up must come down
I’m learning to fly but I ain’t got wings
Comin’ down is the hardest thing

2 comments:

shilpa narayan said...

I believe I can fly I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar I see me running
through that open door
I believe I can fly I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly

See I was on the verge of breaking down
Sometimes silence can seem so loud
There are miracles in life I must achieve
But first I know it starts inside of me,
Oh if I can see it, then I can be it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it


- R Kelly

Howzzat for feeling like the navigator rather than depending on someone...for feeling upbeat and soaring rather than the sinking feeling of going down!

Bharat said...

Hmmm, see what you are saying. But remember this is Pink Floyd, look at the last line of this song.
"Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I"...

Basically indicating total failure. The song (IMHO) is supposed to be this psycedelic mix of being depressed, maybe failing in something and even so much as flying an actual plane...

Really complex