Monday, December 25, 2006

Run Forrest! Run!

Forrest Gump: "That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run."

If you read through the links that I posted below about the Ultramarathon Man, Dean Karnazes, you might have come across him talking about the runner's high. It exists...I don't know how to define it. According to Dean the amount of running he does the running high sometimes lasts 3 weeks. I don't know about that long but when I come back from my long runs it hurts, it hurts real bad sometimes. But it feels really good. When I stop my run whether it is after 10 or 12 kms or sometimes just after about 30 minutes there is something good in the air at that point. Something that makes me feel...happy. Its a kind of invincible, good invincible, feeling. The head is just clear at that point. I know this can be medically explained with the hormones and adrenelin flowing through your viens but it is there and it does happen.

Once you get your mechanics sorted out and find your equilbrium speed, there is something about running! Maybe it is that feeling that you have left your troubles behind...maybe it is the insulation that it gives you from life's chatter and clutter...maybe it is the peace of mind that it gives...maybe its just the view of the road passing beneath your feet...maybe it is that solace you've been searching for...maybe it is just about getting somewhere... maybe it is about you proving something to yourself...maybe its the wind on your face and its hum in your ears...maybe this, maybe that, maybe, maybe, maybe....arrrrrrrrrgh! :)

Just take it that it exists. Don't run as if it is a race, run for yourself. Find an area that you like and keep your head up because you will notice things that will open your eyes. Put on your favorite music and just run. Run till you know it is going to hurt tomorrow and then just wait when the pain comes...you will be smiling :)


PS:
As an after thought, I actually wore the wrong shoes when I was running back at home during the Diwali vacation and I came back with the inside area of my shins hurting in a nagging kind of way. I was quite miserable but it didn't stop me from enjoying my runs. Don't get me wrong I know how long distance running can be damaging to the body. My friend 'U' has done that to himself so I did pay attention to my pains and bought myself a great pair of shiny New Balance running shoes ;-)

my shoes

1 comment:

shilpa narayan said...

Yalla ok...but do I see another eccentric in our grp? Dips plays that part pretty well, don't you think?;)
But ya, am sure the quack in you will prevent you from getting yourself in the kinda mess Dips got himself into! :) So run B run!